The 8-Bit Dev Pipe is an 8 week empowerment experience for game devs in St. Louis who are looking to take their game development to the next level, whatever that level may be. The goal of the program is to provide Dev Pipers with a system of accountability for hitting their game-related goals and a tiny team of experts for helping with the inevitable tide of obstacles that comes from doing something really, really cool.
In other words... Coming into the Pipe, you'll have a team and a game idea, and by the time you're finished, you'll have a game, new friends, and a new feeling of being able to tackle anything.
How does it work?
You'll form a team, get a game idea going, and then register your team and idea. Your team will then get access to a hidden section of the Butterscotch Forums, just for Dev Pipers. Once the Dev Pipe starts, it's off to the races!
Throughout the 8 weeks, your team will post daily progress reports on the forums. You can also post playable builds, screenshots, video, GIFs, and anything else your heart desires. This is so that you can show your game to others to get feedback and general encouragement, and because the act of making daily progress reports (to an audience) helps to keep you accountable to your goals.
On top of that, we (Bscotch) will dig through the registration forms and select two teams to work with directly over the 8 weeks for some hands-on mentorship. We’ll meet with those teams 9 times: Once on the first day of the program, then once every week after. The Dev Pipe will take place on Mondays, from 6:00pm-7:30pm for one group, and 7:30pm-9:00pm for another.
Schedule of Events
- Monday, July 21: Dev Pipe Kickoff at the Happy Badger office.
- Find out what the Dev Pipe is all about and what you can expect over the 8 weeks.
- A quick speed-dating event to meet everyone and find potential teammates.
- Registration opens up at the conclusion of the event.
- RSVP at the Meetup page!
- Monday, August 4: Registration is closed at 5pm! Hopefully you've gotten a team together and a game idea by now.
- Monday, August 18: THE DEV PIPE BEGINS!
What do I get out of this?
- An 8 week deadline to whoop some ass
- A system of accountability for doing meaningful things with your time
- Become a part of a super secret organization (a hidden section of the Butterscotch forums for all Dev Pipe participants)
- A sack of candies (when you're all done)
- The opportunity to present to the St. Louis Meet-Up group and IGDA a post-mortem of your experience in the Pipe (not required, but encouraged)
- Post-Pipe check-ins for a month after the program to assist with your continued progress
What do I need in order to register?
- You must have a team and a game idea.
- You need to live in the St. Louis area (roughly). We're keeping this thing local.
- Teams must be no larger than 3 people.
- You need to be able to commit to 8 weeks of awesomeness.
How much does it cost?
NO PROBLEM! This time around we'll be hosting an introductory meeting for everyone interested in the 8-Bit Dev Pipe. The meeting will provide a brief overview of what you can expect during the Dev Pipe and will conclude with a speed-dating style event to help people meet one another and form teams.
Registration will go live the night of the event and close two weeks after, to provide plenty of time for people to get to know one another before settling down to make a game together. If you already have a team, come to the event anyways, as there will be a boatload of information delivered there. If you don't have a team, definitely come to the event to find your game-making soulmate(s).
Do I need to be a PRO?!
No! You need no experience. In anything. Just a fistful of grit and the will to produce something of merit in a short time frame.